After a Jackson Brazier layup put Kilsyth up 67-61 with less than four minutes remaining, the Cobras offence stalled, turning the ball over on three consecutive possessions as Bendigo tied the game. Auryn Macmillan was tangled up down low and whistled for a 3-second violation, Kyle Adnam then appeared to be fouled as he was stripped on the wing, and Tim Lang ended the horror stretch with a double-dribble call.

After Bendigo tied it at 67, Gerard Leonard connected from downtown with two minutes remaining to put the Cobras back up, 70-67. But the Braves quickly answered with a three of their own, with Kevin Probert tying it the game at 70 after Kilsyth failed to rebound two straight Bendigo misses.

Both teams traded empty possessions from there on out, with Tony Lewis’ potential game-winner off the mark.

Kilsyth got the early jump in overtime, with Leonard slashing to the hoop to finish inside, putting the Cobras up 72-70. After both teams again hit a dry spell, Lewis tied the game for the Braves with just over two minutes remaining as the Cobras again surrendered two offensive rebounds on the play.

After a solid start to the game, the Cobras Tim Lang struggled in the extra session, missing four straight attempts from the field and going 0-2 from the line as Bendigo pushed their lead out to 76-72. Adnam and Macmillan both scored to keep Kilsyth within striking distance, and after the Braves Josh Wilcher went 1-2 from the line with just seconds remaining, the Cobras had a chance to tie the game and send it to a second overtime. It wasn’t to be, though, as Leonard’s desperation 3-pointer as time expired was partially blocked, with the Cobras letting a golden opportunity slip through their hands.

An entertaining start to the game saw the Cobras jump out to an early 30-19 lead behind strong play from Adnam and Lang. Their comfortable lead was short-lived, though, with Bendigo closing the first half on a 16-5 run to tie the game heading into the break.

A back and forth third period kept things tight and it wasn’t until midway through the fourth quarter that Kilsyth appeared to take control, but their three late turnovers proved costly, with the Cobras now finding themselves in a dogfight to make the playoffs.

Adnam led the Cobras with 22 points and three assists, Lang finished with 16 points and 15 rebounds and Macmillan added 10 points and eight boards for the Cobras, who were left without Taylor Cameron (nine points, five rebounds) and Brazier (10 points) in overtime after the pair fouled out in the fourth quarter.

The loss drops the Cobras record to 8-12, trailing fourth placed Hobart by one win. They face the Chargers on Friday night in a season-defining game, followed by a trip to Ulverstone to take on the NW Tasmania Thunder on Saturday night.