Kilsyth improved to 5-10 on the season but with import Zach Malvik returning home after breaking his foot, it will be a difficult task for the Cobras to make finals from here.

Kilsyth secured the signature Luke Cooper during the week to fill the void vacated by Malvik and he was solid in his SEABL debut backing up Jon Lee. Cooper and Lee led the show in the first term as Kilsyth jumped the Bandits to gain a 29-15 quarter time lead.  Albury were having nightmares of the teams earlier meeting of the season when Kilsyth went on to record a 54 point win.  But there was going to be no repeat of that result in this game, as the Bandits stayed with the Cobras in the second term to go into the main break down 13 points.

Andrew Rice (29pts and 14rbds) came out in the 3rd term and dominated as the Bandits closed the gap, with Werner forced to sit once again in foul trouble the Cobras struggled to defend the former NBL player. Werner was able to play just 17 minutes before fouling out for 4 points and 6 rebounds due to some dubious calls from the officials. DJ Taylor (21pts, 6rbds) in game number 350 and veteran Paul Burgess (13rbds) picked up the slack for the Cobras and kept them in the contest doing their best to contain Rice while also forcing him into foul trouble.

The 4th term proved a real tussle with the referees again coming into play, this time to the advantage of Kilsyth.  Albury picked up 12 fouls to 4 in the final term including two technicals in quick succession and an unsportsmanlike foul to give Kilsyth the match.  The Cobras again shot poorly from the line at just 65% but went there 48 times compared to Albury’s 23.

Adam Jackson continued his recent form on his way to 27 pts in just 26 minutes as he continued to do whatever he can to get his team over the line.  It has been the Kilsyth locals who picked up their game over the past week with Jackson and Taylor leading the way but Gerard Leonard (20pts) and Jon Croft (14pts) providing much need support.

Kilsyth will make the trip back home before taking on Southern Districts today (Sunday) in what again is a do-or-die contest.  With the AIS winning and moving to 7-7 on the season, the Cobras must keep winning if they are to have any hope of making finals.  Coach Grant Wallace will be pleased with the teams continued persistence in getting the win and their never give up attitude but their season will come down to how many wins they can now string together.

The Cobras travel to Mt Gambier next weekend before a bye weekend and then a trip to Tasmania which will determine their 2008 season.  Kilsyth don’t return home until June 21st when they take on the Ballarat Miners. 

For all your Club Kilsyth Cobras news visit