A spectacular second quarter run and big games from Steph Cumming, Rosie Moult, Sarah Parsons and Cassie Sant have propelled the Assist PT Lady Cobras to their fifth consecutive win, a 100-82 victory over Geelong.

Tied at 25 after one period, the Cobras took off in the second quarter, shooting a sizzling 72.2% from the field to take a 16 point lead into the half. Their second quarter explosion was keyed by Parsons, with the forward scoring 13 points in the period, while Moult, Cumming and Sant combined for another 18 points in what was an offensive clinic by the league’s hottest team.

Sam Woosnam’s group continued to pour it on late into the fourth quarter, when Jordyn O’Shea connected on a jumper to put the Lady Cobras up by 27 points. Channel Perera made a pair from the line to push Kilsyth to the century mark, giving the Cobras a staggering 194 points over their last two games.

Cumming led the Lady Cobras with 21 points to go along with six rebounds and five assists, proving again that she is one of SEABL’s toughest players to stop. Parsons again was overpowering inside, recording her third consecutive double-double as she added 18 points, 10 rebounds and five assists, while fellow frontcourt mate Cassie Sant had another efficient evening, going 6-for-8 from the field to finish with 16 points and seven rebounds.

Rosie Moult broke out of an early season shooting slump, going 4-for-7 from deep for a season-high 18 points, but was even better on the defensive end as she limited star Supercat Sara Blicavs to just 11 points, while forcing her into five turnovers.

The win moves the Lady Cobras record to 5-1, as they prepare ahead for their biggest weekend to date. On Saturday they travel to Bendigo to take on last year’s regular season conference champions, before returning home to face the 3-0 Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence on Mothers Day (tip-off 12.00pm).


A second half collapse has seen the Assist PT Cobras four-game win streak come to an end, losing to Geelong, 81-90, on Saturday night at home.

An uncharacteristic third quarter by Kilsyth saw a two-point game quickly slip away, as the Cobras were sloppy on both ends of the floor, turning the ball over and breaking down defensively at an alarming rate. Geelong pushed the lead out to 73-58 late in the period, a hole the Cobras could not recover from as they dropped their first game at home in 2015.

In what was an extremely high quality first half of basketball, the Cobras trailed 47-49 at the break after Geelong’s Nick Owusu connected on a high-arching runner to beat the buzzer. Joel Naburgs, Auryn Macmillan and Tim Lang were dominant early on, combining for 39 first half points as guards Kyle Adnam and Taylor Cameron battled foul trouble.

But things quickly unraveled from there, though, with the veteran Supercats making the Cobras pay for errors on both ends of the floor. With the lead cut to single digits early in the final quarter, guard Nathan Herbert scored seven quick points as the Cobras turned the ball over on three straight possessions, putting Geelong ahead 86-70 with less than six minutes remaining.

Rod Popp’s team kept on clawing back, with Jackson Brazier sparking a 9-0 run to make it a seven point game with three minutes remaining. But it was too little, too late, as Kilsyth fatigued down the stretch, giving up three key offensive rebounds that ultimately sealed their fate.

Kilsyth’s fourth quarter push was hurt by their inability to make the most of easy opportunities, as they went a paltry 1-for-6 from the foul line over the final 10 minutes. Their poor shooting from the stripe was just as bad from deep, with the Cobras missing all eight of their second half attempts from downtown after going 5-for-9 in the first half.

Naburgs led the Cobras with 23 points, while Lang and Macmillan added 14 points apiece, although the front court duo combined for just five second half points. Taylor Cameron came on strong late to finish with 12 points and six rebounds and Jackson Brazier provided excellent minutes off the bench, producing nine points and seven rebounds in just 23 minutes.

Though the loss drops Kilsyth to 4-2, they still remain atop the South Conference. The Cobras face a tough Bendigo team on the road Saturday night, before taking on the Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence on Sunday at 2.00pm.